Saturday, May 30, 2020

Two New Poems: "Ghosting," and "Market 2020"

Ghosting

 

I'd like to apologize for ghosting you

It wasn't my intention--

I have a bad habit of assuming

that I won't be missed.

My more natural inclination

is to assume that contacting you

would be bothersome to you

"oh, it's THAT guy again"

and I tend to prefer being alone anyway.

 

I admit that when I was younger

there were girls I didn't call

and if they called I told them I was sick

or I just wanted to be friends.

I suppose I could have been more straightforward

 

But ghosts

are naturally inclined

to be cowards.

 

* * *


Market 2020

 

During a moment

in which 100,000 Americans have died unnecessarily--

 

and many more are fighting pitched street battles

for the right to not be openly murdered

by those sworn to protect them--

 

A moment where the American government pledges

$484 billion to help those suffering (April 24)

And it is announced that America's billionaires

just got $484 billion richer (May 22)--

 

And the government reminds American workers

that they are human capital stock,

a term which fixes value on a worker's ability

to make billionaires even richer,

 

It can be hard to find the motivation

to perform the little tasks

like sweeping the floor or making the bed

or writing another stupid poem.

 

There is no end to that which must be protested

And no end to that which must be done.

 

* * *