Monday, May 25, 2020

Two Poems: Luminous and Membranes

Luminous

I admit to having issues with my appearance

I have compared my body to a sack of potatoes

Even though I know it's a good body

It gets me around, gives me little pain

And I feel ungrateful for not loving it more

Because of mere aesthetics

 

I fantasize about a body that is sleek and shiny

All smooth and graceful, strong and fast

I smash myself in the gym and get strong

But I never get sleek

Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym

And my kitchen is full of cookies and beer

 

But it's a good body

I am not sleek or shiny

But I am luminous

 

Glowing from within.


* * * 


Membranes


Our bodies are full

of semi-permeable membranes

 

which are membranes designed

to allow only certain types

of molecules to pass through

 

I wish we had the same for our souls

that the love would pass in

and the hate would be rejected

turned away by our membranes

and we would be happy and full of love.

 

We don't have those special magic membranes

so we have to do the sorting ourselves

 

and that can be very, very tiresome.


* * * 

Explore Nolan's titles to read more.