Tuesday, June 2, 2020

New Poem: Delicate

Delicate

 

It can be really difficult living with other people

I've never met anyone who can be happy all the time

and familiarity breeds contempt

while absence makes the heart grow fonder

and all the other very true clichés--

 

and all I want is to be alone most of the time

but just like when I was a little kid

and I hated drying the dishes so much

but I often did it without being asked

just so my mom wouldn't have to do everything alone--

 

Now I spend my time with the others

maybe not as much as they want

but more than I want--

 

that sense of obligation and duty pushing me--

 

but then sometimes when I do too much

and it starts to grate on my nerves

I get shitty and nasty and on edge

 

"you're always on edge" they tell me

and it's true

 

it's all a delicate balance:

be there so much that they never miss me

but be away enough that I can stand it

 

and most of all

I really think I overestimate

how much I'm needed anyway

 

sometimes.

* * *